forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Forrest site configuration
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:55:50 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 02:34:05PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Currently, configuration and extension of Forrest is done with these
>>files relative to the current directory:
>>
>>  a - *.xmaps
>>  b - forrest.properties
>>  c - skinconf.xml
>>
>>Point (a) IMHO has only one way of making it better: not *having* to
>>extend xmaps to be able to do the most used extension features.
>>
>>The most common extensions I see that are done in xmaps are:
>>  - addition of DTDs
>
> Yes
>
>>  - insertion of extra sources
>
> Or rather, special handling of some sources (usually those with custom
> DTDs), like FOP's compliance.xml

Yup, the handling is done by

   extra source + extra DTD + extra xsl
                \-----------V------------/
                        DTDpack

>>Point (b) is about validation, source dirs, and other dirs places. In
>>common with (a) there is the source dirs stuff: define the default ones,
>>another to add to them.
>>
>>Finally (c) is about the configuration of the skin, so that it is
>>customized. This has proven to be succesful, so I regard it as a
>>reference about how to do the rest.
>>
>>Note that I want to make it possible for a single Forrest webapp to
>>serve different sites, and so to make it also possible for projects that
>>have subprojects to share the same skinconf and infos.
>
> Sounds like an interesting case..
>

>>  Proposal
>>
>>custom *.xmaps     -> dtdpack.zip
>
> All custom *.xmap files, even if they have nothing to do with DTDs?

What I mean is that most xmap uses will be not needed anymore mainly
because of dtdpacks.

Wether keeping the xmap extension system or not is another point
(personally I think we should not remove it, just try to make it
unneeded for most cases)