forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] Forrest source directory layout and resolving
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:51:03 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:59:05AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>Here is an updated status on my proceedings about the source directory
>>layout and resolving, divided by the objectives:
>>2 no more source copying
> To report on updates: I've been trying to fix up and commit the old xmaps
> that remove the necessity for copying.
> It's gradually occurred to me that perhaps we'll never be able to
> completely remove the need for copying.  The problems are quite large:
>  - The src/documentation/{lib,classes} directory's contents need to be in
>    WEB-INF/lib/.  We could hack Jetty's classpath to include these, but
>    that's not a very nice solution

I was never aware that we were making this extension possible. Do we
*really* need it?

>  - src/documentation/*.xmap sitemaps need to override their generic
>    equivalents, and I still don't know how we could do this.

IMHO we will have to break this if we want to remove copying.
Or at least make this be done *only* if there is something to override.
In this case we will eliminate the need for copying for most, possibly
all with the sourcemap, uses.

>  - Anything in resources/{images,stylesheets,grammars,schema} could
>    potentially be overridden by an identically named file in
>    src/documentation/resources/{...}.  This means that for large
>    proportions of our sitemap, we'll have to use actions to do an
>    if-then-else check.  This will have unhappy consequences to
>    readability and speed.

This should be eliminated by a well designed sourcemap, as these values
can be cached.

> So I've concentrated on eliminating xdoc copying as a first step covering
> most needs, and that is almost ready to be checked in.

IMHO the sourceconf proposal I'm already working on is a final solution
to all these issues. But eventually I would have to come round to do the
work you are doing now anyway, so I'm happy you are doing this necessary

Furthermore, users are more concerned about having to copy sources
rather than having Forrest copy itself in teh build dir, so this commit
would effectively be a big enhancement for our users. :-)

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -