forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: skin package descriptor skins.xml
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:36:04 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Catching up on missed mail..
>
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:25:42PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Since I am the creator and maintainer of that skin, I would obviously
>>prefer to keep it in Forrest, it's easier to manage.
>>
>>But these are some reasons why we should move:
>>
>>1 - it's not an Apache project
>
> It's ASL'ed.

It's not a reason to maintain it here either.

>>2 - it's unfair to other projects that must keep their skin on
>>    their sites
>
> They're not ASL'ed.  And they don't exist (see below).

Not yet. Not having a packaging of skins, no wonder nobody dostributes them.

>>3 - we point to one real-life example to start with, as David says
>>4 - it's popular just because it's there, not necessarily because it's
>>    that nice; with remote skins popularity will decrease IMHO
>
> If it comes to predictions, I predict this system isn't going to be
> adopted by users at all, based on the observation that users *haven't*
> been swamping us with skin submissions.  We haven't had a single skin
> submission since forrest-css.  This is solving a non-existent problem.

The krysalis-site move is not to solve a problem, just something that I
thought makes sense (as I said later I won't be moving it anyway).

As for the skin download system, it does solve a problem I had. It's not
easy to make a skin available to different parties that have to use the
same one unless it's in our distro.

Nobody asked us to make site: link resolving either, but it's there
nevertheless.

Time will tell if the skin feature is useless or has a place.

>>What I *would* do though, is to move all the krysalis-skin mods to the
>>forrest skin back in the forrest skin, and make users add a page.css
>>file in the project documentation dir.
>
> ?? What krysalis-skin (?) mods to the forrest skin?

The krysalis skin is the Forrest skin with some mods:

1 - more use of CSS images instead of the img tag
2 - more use of CSS
3 - nested page index in the left navigation
4 - places the breadcrumb in different position
5 - smaller default fonts
6 - javascript for font size setting

The only thing that makes the krysalis skin really different is teh
color and title underlines, but the rest can (IMHO should) be backported
to forrest-site.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -