forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where is Docbook support going?
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 14:25:12 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently, our Docbook 'support' consists of a stylesheet called
>> docbook2document.xsl, and a mass of DTDs.  I'd like to know where this is
>> all going.
>>
>> Firstly, is our aim to support all of Docbook, or even simplified
>> Docbook?
>
> We will not be able to support more than our intermediate Apache
> document format, unless be move to xhtml

Agreed.

We *will* move to xhtml2 as intermediate format, but after the current
fixes.

>> If no, we should define our supported subset in a DTD, so hapless users
>> don't try to use the full thing, only to discover Forrest doesn't render
>> it.  There's nothing more frustrating than not knowing a tool's
>> limitations.
>>
> yes there is something more frustating than that, not even able to do it
> at all.

You can't always do everything with a tool.

> I thought that it was clear forrest position on this:
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/faq.html#docbook

AFAIK it's not a position but a description of the current situation.

Now it's all a matter of who will maintain stuff and cater for it.

>> If yes, we should turf out docbook2document.xsl right now, because trying
>> to 'evolve' it to fully support Docbook is extremely foolhardy.  Norm
>> Walsh has spent years working on his XSLTs.  We can't possibly compete.
>
> If you provide a nice way to write basic content WITHOUT users need to
> deal with xml tags. Then I am happy to remove docbook support.

That's why I propose that we use html as basic content format. HTML
editors are more easy to find than docbook ones, and furthermore they
can be seen also directly from CVS.

Later we will support xhtml2 editors directly.

>> What do people think?
>
> That you are always against me :-) whatever I propose you think the
> opposite. The last one is the 18n support go ahead...

Don't worry, he's usually like that ;-P

[PS: don't do the error of taking it personally, it's just about
technical opinions]

             - verba volant, scripta manent -