forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: skin package descriptor skins.xml
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:25:42 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:37:11AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>I just banged some text in for the "description" element.
>>>Nicola Ken, would you please tweak that text. Is it really
>>>based on forrest-site?
>>
>>Yup.
>>
>>>Could you add a few words about the
>>>differences.
>>
>>I'd like to remove them ASAP rather than keep them, I just removed some
>>stuff without thinking much ;-)
>>
>>The question is: should we move the krysalis-skin out of Forrest?
>>I'm +1 to it.
>
> Being able to use Forrest offline is quite important.  What do we buy
> moving a popular skin like krysalis-site out of Forrest?  Everyone who
> maintains it has commit access here.

Since I am the creator and maintainer of that skin, I would obviously
prefer to keep it in Forrest, it's easier to manage.

But these are some reasons why we should move:

1 - it's not an Apache project
2 - it's unfair to other projects that must keep their skin on
     their sites
3 - we point to one real-life example to start with, as David says
4 - it's popular just because it's there, not necessarily because it's
     that nice; with remote skins popularity will decrease IMHO

What I *would* do though, is to move all the krysalis-skin mods to the
forrest skin back in the forrest skin, and make users add a page.css
file in the project documentation dir.

In this way users that want to use the krysalis-site skin in the present
form need just to add that page.css file in the directory.

The only thing missing is the generation of the rounded corners, but
that can be obviated by using SVG instead.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -