forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADSUP] Committed skin package system
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:25:11 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>>I have committed the change that makes it possible for users to download
>>>skins and have them automatically used by Forrest.
>
> I just tried it, very nice.

:-D

>>>_TODO_
>>>
>>> 1 - If it's ok, migrate the skins.xml file from my account to
>>>     xml.apache.org/forrest/skins/skins.xml (->nicolaken)
>>
>>Done.
>>
>>> 2 - add a version to the skin files, to match the forrest one
>>>     (->nicolaken)
>>
>>Done. If a versioned skin is not available, it also tries with an
>>unversioned file.
>
> It gave three identical errors about java.io.FileNotFoundException
> when trying to get the non-existent skin. I expected one error.

Yeah, that's wierd, it seems like it's the Ant task doing it. Doh.

> With "skinconf2" it still went on to look for an un-versioned file
> even though it had already got a versioned file.

Ok, found the bug, will fix tomorrow.

>>> 3 - make forrest unpack files placed manually (->nicolaken)
>>
>>Done.
>
> The skin will get blown away by the next 'build clean'. But that
> is okay because it is so quick to go get another copy. Also it
> may be preferable to get a fresh copy.

Exactly. When someone does a build clean, it's usually to change
versions, so a new skin download might be a nice idea.

> If the user wanted to keep
> the skin and perhaps enhance it, then they can copy it to their project.

Yup.

>>> 4 - make the download automatic when running forrest if skin
>>>     not available (->open, not sure if good to have)
>>
>>Done nevertheless.
>>
>>> 5 - docs about how to use it (->nicolaken)
>>
>>@todo ;-S
>
> Started.

Cool :-)

>>Also changed from jar packages to zips (we don't use the manifest).
>
> So should we change the extension? You began with .fsj for
> "forrest skin jar". Perhaps .fsz

...(in another mail you wrote)
 > Du'oh ... how about .zip

Dunno, if it's a zip it's easy to open by double-clicking, and has a
real mime-type. On the other hand it's generic, and even Openoffics has
a different extension even if they are using zips... what do others prefer?

  *.zip?
  *.fsz?
  *.forrestskin.zip?
  *.fs.zip?

>>Currently available test skins:
>>
>>   testskin
>>   testskin2
>>
>>Please give it a check and see if it's ok for you.
>
> This is a good start.

:-)

I'd also want to add other information to the skins.xml file to include
also some other information about the skins, so we can use that to
automatically present a nice skins page to the user.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -