forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BROKEN: UTFDataFormatException: String cannot be longer than 32k.
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:19:10 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Thanks for that explanation/information, that makes sense. Any advice on if
> I should "wait patiently" on Jeff's bug entry, or if I should look at a hack
> workaround/fix? [I have no idea if this is something simple to fix at a low
> level, or high priority, or ... ]
>
> I could chunk data into < 32K pieces, but I'm not sure how I'd fake the
> parser into creating multiple text nodes. [I guess I could be 'ugly' just
> split the file into multiple <source> entries.]

Processing such big files just to make them fit in the page IMHO does
not make much sense and is a waste of resources.

My humble advise? Link directly to the raw page.

Alternatives are:

  1 - use a nested iframe (therefore you need to use ehtml pages)
  2 - use javascript to include the text in the page (ugh!)
  3 - insert a SSI directive to include the source on the page, letting
      Apache do the work.

In any case, if you still would like to have the "inclusion" behaviour,
I would suggest you to make it configurable (I prefer not to generate
pages just to decorate commandline output).

             - verba volant, scripta manent -