forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] CLI and Forrestbot (was Re: New Forrestbot in the works (Re: forrestbot configuration))
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:10:17 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Is there a reason why you use Ant for this sort of thing, as opposed to
> a more pure Cocoon CLI/bean approach? (other than because the CLI/bean
> isn't good enough yet).

Jeff is correctly making the current system better. It's not a "final"
thing, as nothing is final, so we should eventually discuss options soon.

> To my mind, this is the sort of thing that I see the CLI/bean doing
> eventually. It can already send pages directly to a modifiable source,
> so with an SCPSource you could remove the final 'copy' stage. There is
> already a CVSSource which can be used to read out of a repository
> (although that would require a change to your sitemap, which is not
> preferable). The cli.xconf can now handle multiple sites (using <uris>
> elements). Then, once the CLI/bean can do all this, it can either be run
> from the command line via cron, or potentially be called from within a
> web interface (run as an Avalon component via the flow).
>
> Can you see the CLI/bean taking over this role at some point in the
> future, or do you think there is some intrinsic role for Ant to play here?

I didn't want to come out with this discussion now, but I see Forrest
running *live* using CVSSource, doing multiple sites and playing nice
with an Apache proxy in front, for added speed. In this way Cocoon works
as a "live CLI", doing slow transformations at specified expire times
and driven by Apache.

Of course, if this works, it would be trivial to make the CLI work on
this. But it's still some time off, and the Forrestbot is being used and
already relied upon. We need to do the changes being discussed, clean
the build and source copying, and then have time to see what will be
missing from a CLI solution you highlight and fill in the gaps (for
example the webapp).

ATM I think that we will still need some sort of Ant frontend, and of
course the webapp, but I hope that many things can be done easier by Cocoon.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -