forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove need to build Forrest
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:04:39 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:05:56PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>Currently Forrest has to be built before usage, and this is both a good
>>and a bad thing. Good because it separates the working version from the
>>CVS version. Bad because the buildfile is getting an intangble mess.
>>Hence I would propose that we move all the files that are copied at
>>buildtime into the forrest-shbat directory.
>>This means basically moving there:
>>  src/resources/conf/**
>>  src/resources/grammar/**
>>  src/resources/schema/**
>>  src/resources/images/**
>>  src/resources/skins/**
>>  src/resources/fresh-site/**
>>  src/resources/stylesheets/**
>>like the build file does. In this way the src/resources/forrest-shbat
>>will be exactly like the current build\dist\shbat dir.
> Which is:
> forrest.antproxy.xml
> forrestbot
> ant/
> bin/
> context/
> legal/
> lib/
> tasks/
> How is this more logical than src/resources/* ?

It's just to remove unneded copies.

> We currently have a two-step process:
> 1) First build.xml rearranges src/* to generate build/dist/shbat/*
> 2) Then rearranges build/dist/shbat/* to build/webapp/*

I hadn't taken webapp into account, forgot about that step.

> Instead or making src/* look more like the intermediate format, how about
> making it look like the end format?
> src/
> src/forrest.antproxy.xml
> src/core/*.xmap
> src/core/WEB-INF/
> src/core/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
> src/fresh-site/*

That was the idea, but my proposal fell short of a step.

>>This, plus making fresh-site be used directly as sparse files instead of
>>a zip, and moving there also the libraries. Optionally we can see to
>>download the libraries with <get> and install them or in the
>>forrest-shbat correct dir or reference them in some other way, still not
>>thought well about this yet, suggestions welcome.
>>I would also rename forrest-shbat to something more generic, like
>>"forrestcore" (or something like that, as we have already forrestbar and
>>Finally the build target would simply <synch> itself with the usual
>>build/dist/shbat/ directory, so that if users still use it they do not
>>need to change anything.
> Synching isn't as easy as just using <synch>, because there is
> project-specific stuff mixed in with generic stuff.

ATM. But my second goal is to remove the need of building altogether, by
mounting project-specific stuff dynamically instead of copying.

>>As a result we would have a smaller and cleaner buildfile, much less
>>copying, and easier work for the developer that does not need check the
>>buildfile every time he adds some features.
> Well, it would make the build process more transparent and faster.

Ok, I think we agree then.

I don't want to disrupt your commits, so after you are done with them
I'll start rearranging as your corrected proposal.

Thanks! :-)

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -