forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [proposal] Doco
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:32:22 GMT

On Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003, at 03:01 Europe/Rome, Dave Brondsema wrote:

> Quoting Stefano Mazzocchi <>:
>>> On another note, can images/PDFs/other-binaries be uploaded?
>> Damn, forgot about this!
>> My suggestion would be to process the binary file and determine if
>> it's
>> an image or not.
>> If not, reject it right away. [there should be *NO* need to upload any
>> other binary file ]
> Why do you think so?

> I think it depends on the context of the documentation.

Sure, but in our context this is simply too dangerous.

> In our use of forrest we have diagram files, MSWord files that haven't
> been
> converted yet, existing PDFs (created outside of forrest), .tgz
> downloads and
> more.

So? Doco is not an extension of forrest, it's a *user* of forrest. If
forrest can do more, great, but I don't care.

> I don't think we should limit doco to exclude binaries.

And allow people to post word files that might contain trojans? flash
files with child pornography? how are you going to validate the content
of a binary file if you can't open it on your platform?

> Likely these
> options could be enabled and disabled by site administrators, but some
> documentation sites would like to have binaries posted.

Doco is a proposal to build *our* system for *our* documentation. It's
not a general CMS, I don't want to distribute stuff from it.

Can it be used by other people later? sure, I wouldn't mind, but for
now, all I want is a system that works for us and that infrastructure
allows us to use in production.

Everything else should not be a concern now.

View raw message