forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject A skin with some new features
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:40:00 GMT
I have been using Forrest to deliver my lecture materials to my students
on the various courses I teach at the University of the West Indies. As
a result I have developed a skin that is heavily based on the
Krysalis-Skin. However, it does add a few new features some may be
considered useful in the main skins - are there any that you would like
me to include in the main other skins? (I will be maintaining and
improving these features for my own site).

Features that may be useful:

glossary functionality
----------------------

create a link with role="glossary" and the resulting link indexes into a
glossary file, using the href attribute as the anchor. Default action is
to open the glossary page in a new window at the relevant point. I
intend to improve this so that it extracts the relevant glossary entry
and open up a small window displaying just that entry.

example
http://localhost:8888/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/typesOfIS.html

citation functionality
----------------------
create a link with role="citation" and it links to a references document
in the same way that the glossary function works (at present the
references file is very basic, but I hope to find the time to make it
work with full bibliographic databases - perhaps at the end of this
semester)

example http://localhost:8888/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/case.html (see
end of page for reference)

---------------
A link that moves to the next page in the site.xml file (allows the user
to navigate through the site one page at a time). It did have a previous
page link too, but this broke when I added the menu javascript stuff, I
will fix it one day. This feature can be turned off with a skinconf
property.

example - any page

slides (probably too specific for most skins)
------
This creates a new view of the site where special sections with
role="slide" are rendered as slides for presentation purposes. The link
to slides view only appears if there is a slide in the current page. The
resulting slide page has basic navigation (next and back to full text
version)

Slides are also rendered differently in the main part of the site,
although they need not be, the use of role means other skins still
render correctly (see the PDF's which are generated by the default XSLT
for example)

example http://localhost:8888/courses/MIS/ISEnterprises/case.html, click
on the slide icon in (next to PDF) to see slide view - note doesn't
include additional information at base of page.

Ross