forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Re: Linking to XML (Re: http://apache.org/forrest/dtd/document-v12.dtd)
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:53:43 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:09:10PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
>
>>This Forrest ability to provide a link to the xml source is something
>>that recently appeared in Forrest. I am am still not sure if it is a
>>good thing. I wonder what its purpose is. What do people expect to do
>>with the raw xml?
>

> Not sure.  Nicola? :)

I don't know why Nicola uses it, but I (theoreticlly, since the
application is a prototype trying to get a sale) use it to "syndicate"
content. Some of my pages change on every few seconds (sensor readings
from plant machinery). This information is made available in a tabulated
list for the plant engineers. But it is also retrieved by an application
at head office that presents the information in graphical form.

I could have both pages on the same server, but it is more efficient (in
terms of bandwidth) to have the data pages on site (up to 250 sites
around the UK) and the reporting engine at the central offices (around
20 across the UK, with one "head office" needing access to all 250 sites).

Ross