forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: CLI & I18N
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:34:33 GMT
Konstantin Piroumian wrote:

>From: "Upayavira" <uv@upaya.co.uk>
>

>>I've just chatted with Cheche at the GetTogether about I18N and the CLI
>>- i.e. getting it to create the necessary translated versions of pages.
>>
>>We are proposing the following code to be made to work in the xconf file
>>(and eventually in the Ant task):
>>
>>   <uris name="i18n"
>>         locales="en|fr|it|de"
>>         follow-links="true"
>>         type="insert"
>>         src-prefix="docs/"
>>         >
>>     <uri src="index.html" dest="build/dest-apache/{dest}.{locale}"/>
>>     <uri src="index.html" dest="build/dest-iis/{locale}/{dest}"/>
>>     <uri src="index.html" dest="build/dest-apache/{dest}" locale="en"/>
>>     <uri src="index.html" dest="build/dest-iis/{dest}" locale="en"/>
>>   </uris>
>>
>>Here, you have specified the locales that you want to process (in this
>>case, four of them), and the locale can be included in the destination
>>URI, to use Apache's I18N support, or to simply include the locale in
>>the URI.
>>

>Does this mean that you should specify all the pages you want to translate?
>Or those are only the entry points?

No, just entry points. But you do have to specify each language, e.g.
locale="en|fr|de". How else could I know which locales exist?

>Also, it'd be fine to be able to create a separate xconf file, e.g.
>i18n.xconf and keep all the related settings there.

I would prefer to have it all in one place, as I have the machinery in
place to manage the cli.xconf. Or was there a specific reason why you
thought to keep it elsewhere?

Regards, Upayavira