forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: Where is Docbook support going?
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 14:17:29 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, our Docbook 'support' consists of a stylesheet called
> docbook2document.xsl, and a mass of DTDs.  I'd like to know where this is
> all going.
>
> Firstly, is our aim to support all of Docbook, or even simplified
> Docbook?

We will not be able to support more than our intermediate Apache
document format, unless be move to xhtml

> If no, we should define our supported subset in a DTD, so hapless users
> don't try to use the full thing, only to discover Forrest doesn't render
> it.  There's nothing more frustrating than not knowing a tool's
> limitations.

yes there is something more frustating than that, not even able to do it
at all.

I thought that it was clear forrest position on this:
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/faq.html#docbook

> If yes, we should turf out docbook2document.xsl right now, because trying
> to 'evolve' it to fully support Docbook is extremely foolhardy.  Norm
> Walsh has spent years working on his XSLTs.  We can't possibly compete.

If you provide a nice way to write basic content WITHOUT users need to
deal with xml tags. Then I am happy to remove docbook support.

> What do people think?

That you are always against me :-) whatever I propose you think the
opposite. The last one is the 18n support go ahead...