forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: i18n in Forrest
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 02:38:18 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Me too :)  Any volunteers for explaining how it works now, how it will
> work eventually, and how we get from here to there?

out of bug #FOR-18 seems to me that we could aggree on this:

1) Eventually forrest provide translated content for the content that
comes from forrest (copyright notice, some tags and stuff)

2) Menus,tabs could be provide by forrest but allow to overwrite by users

3) You have one XML source file per language

We will start by 1 and 2
A) Use catalogs for xsl:text output that belongs to forrest
(menu,tabs,footer)

I am not sure if we will be using the lables of a keyword to find the
translation e.g.

<my-page label"My label" />

if I use "My label" as the translation key, that key is case sensitive
and "My label page" could have same meaning on that context.

If I use my-page as the translation key then I have not got access to
the information displayed to the user that could be "Cool Label" and the
translation could be wrong.

B) About XML source file per language.
I did a bit of reseach and out of apache docs, I think that
myfile.xml.{locale} is more common than myfile.{locale}.xml

see here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/manual/mod/

C) As suggested on the bug use the locale and i18n that cocoon provides.

I hope is enough,

I need a bit of help, send any patch if you have it working.

Cheers,
Cheche