forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Linking to XML (Re: http://apache.org/forrest/dtd/document-v12.dtd)
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:53:14 GMT
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 06:08:26PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > > Also we used to just have a basic System Identifier that was just
> > > the DTD filename. e.g. "document-v12.dtd". Why did we change it to
> > > be a full URL?
> >
> > Because it made people think that there *ought* to be a DTD at
> > ../document-v12.dtd, and that either their XML or their DTDs were wrongly
> > placed.  The POI people even copied the DTDs there, under this
> > assumption.
>
> Eeek. Okay, that is a good reason. This then shows that our
> documentation is not too good if they miss the core entity resolver.

I think it just shows that people don't read docs, which is
understandable (I don't either).  For people who care to look, we have a
quite adequate description of our catalog use:

http://xml.apache.org/forrest/validation.html#Validating+new+XML+types

For people who don't care to look, Forrest should "just work".

> I will try to add another FAQ to our docs.
>
> Now we will have shifted the problem. They will now think
> that there *ought* to be the DTDs and stuff at that URL.

It absolves the user of the responsibility for a perceived problem, which
is good enough for me :)

> I wonder if we should put an index.html at /dtd/ to point them
> to proper mechanisms.

If it's not a DTD I don't think we should put it there.. guess what kind
of error messages an XML parser gives when interpreting HTML as DTD ;)

> > .. and the REAL reason was :) that I want to edit XML in IDEA, which has
> > excellent XML support (auto-complete, etc).  IDEA maps system ids to
> > physical locations, so I needed a well-defined system id.
>
> Well not too "excellent XML support" if it doesn't utilise the
> explicitly well-defined Public Identifiers too.

True (it doesn't have any catalog support), but in XML the sysId is
mandatory (if a doctype is present), whereas the pubId isn't.

--Jeff