forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Is speed slow because we use the document() function for skinconf?
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:27:53 GMT

You mean 4 different transformations, right? As opposed to one primary XSL
and 3 xsl:import/includes.

Yea, I have never understood that. Even though I have been using a site.xml
to build static sites since before XSLT was even a recommendation, I was
told that 'we' know better and that you need all these stages. Don't get me
wrong, you definitely need multi-stage transformations for some things, but
not /simple/ transformations to static html like forrest does (I see no need
of PDFs for print friendly pages). You would really speed up the generation
process if you got rid of 3 of those stages and cache your Templates
object(s). It would probably bring the generation process from minutes to
seconds. You could then transform the site.xml to an Ant build file and do
away with the cocoon burden...

> That would mean at least two extra parsings for each file being
> processed, hoping that imported files share the instance, or else it's
> up to at least 4.

Yes, the xsl:import/includes share the instance.

Best,
-Rob

p.s. replies to you are bouncing:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at minotaur.apache.org.

<nicolaken.barozzi@tiscali.it>:
195.130.225.171 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 RCPT TO:<nicolaken.barozzi@tiscali.it> User unknown
Giving up on 195.130.225.171.