forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Validation includes and excludes
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:33:24 GMT
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 07:26:24PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> In my quest of removing the forrest.properties file, after seeking
> comfort in the locationmap, skinconf and project descriptors, I find
> myself in the lonely desolations of validation includes and excludes.
>
> Amist such great profusion of options, a question arised... why?
>
> To exclude, or not to exclude? ;-)
>
> I mean, why do we sometimes need to exclude validation? site.xml ... it
> should validate ok, as it has no DTD and so it should check that it's
> only well-formed...

<xmlvalidate> asserts that files are *valid*.  site.xml isn't, so it
fails.

> I'd really like to make this simpler... maybe checking for .valignore
> files as we have .cvsignore files? Maybe putting a meta tag or a comment
> tag in the xml pages to prevent validation on them?
>
> Till I don't see the need of these excludes I fail to decide on the
> solution... help!

What's the problem?  Almost all .xml files in content/xdocs ought to
validate, so having to exclude some files shouldn't be a major issue.

The real problem seems to be that Cocoon has bugger-all validation
capabilities.  Validation would ideally be done in the pipeline, with a
<map:validate type="..."/> component.

--Jeff