forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] Forrest source directory layout and resolving
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:59:48 GMT
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:51:03PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:59:05AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >>Here is an updated status on my proceedings about the source directory
> >>layout and resolving, divided by the objectives:
> >>2 no more source copying
> >
> >To report on updates: I've been trying to fix up and commit the old xmaps
> >that remove the necessity for copying.
> >
> >It's gradually occurred to me that perhaps we'll never be able to
> >completely remove the need for copying.  The problems are quite large:
> >
> > - The src/documentation/{lib,classes} directory's contents need to be in
> >   WEB-INF/lib/.  We could hack Jetty's classpath to include these, but
> >   that's not a very nice solution
>
> I was never aware that we were making this extension possible. Do we
> *really* need it?

Yes, it's very useful.  You can put jimi.jar in src/documentation/lib/
and everyone building the project will get images in their PDFs.  Custom
sitemaps can use custom components not included with Forrest.

> > - src/documentation/*.xmap sitemaps need to override their generic
> >   equivalents, and I still don't know how we could do this.
>
> IMHO we will have to break this if we want to remove copying.

Can't, as this is the only way to customize Forrest.

> Or at least make this be done *only* if there is something to override.

That's the only reason there would be xmap files in src/documentation.

> In this case we will eliminate the need for copying for most, possibly
> all with the sourcemap, uses.

'most' unfortunately isn't an option, unless we want to maintain both new
and old systems.

> > - Anything in resources/{images,stylesheets,grammars,schema} could
> >   potentially be overridden by an identically named file in
> >   src/documentation/resources/{...}.  This means that for large
> >   proportions of our sitemap, we'll have to use actions to do an
> >   if-then-else check.  This will have unhappy consequences to
> >   readability and speed.
>
> This should be eliminated by a well designed sourcemap, as these values
> can be cached.

As you said in your last mail, cocoon:// is slow, and <map:act>'s all
over the place is ugly.

--Jeff