forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] Forrest source directory layout and resolving
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:33:00 GMT
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:59:05AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Here is an updated status on my proceedings about the source directory
> layout and resolving, divided by the objectives:
>
> 1 new and cleaner standard layout
>
> This can only be done properly when we have in place point 2, as it will
> need a way of defining the source layout. In the meantime I need to
> remove the images from the resources, as they are skin-specific.
>
> 2 no more source copying

To report on updates: I've been trying to fix up and commit the old xmaps
that remove the necessity for copying.

It's gradually occurred to me that perhaps we'll never be able to
completely remove the need for copying.  The problems are quite large:

 - The src/documentation/{lib,classes} directory's contents need to be in
   WEB-INF/lib/.  We could hack Jetty's classpath to include these, but
   that's not a very nice solution
 - src/documentation/*.xmap sitemaps need to override their generic
   equivalents, and I still don't know how we could do this.
 - Anything in resources/{images,stylesheets,grammars,schema} could
   potentially be overridden by an identically named file in
   src/documentation/resources/{...}.  This means that for large
   proportions of our sitemap, we'll have to use actions to do an
   if-then-else check.  This will have unhappy consequences to
   readability and speed.

So I've concentrated on eliminating xdoc copying as a first step covering
most needs, and that is almost ready to be checked in.

--Jeff