forrest-dev mailing list archives

From R Parker <rtp...@yahoo.com>
Subject docbook; user question
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:00:06 GMT
Hi,

First, I've installed and have a preliminary forrest
based site running. Excellent solution. Thanks!

Disclaimer: there isn't a forrest-user list yet so I'm
posting to your dev list. Sorry.

I've got a multiple part and chapter book marked up as
docbook-xml. I'd like to put it into xdocs/jam and
have it magically turn into my book. Here's book.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
    <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD DocBk
XML V4.1.2//EN"

"/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" [

   <!ENTITY preface SYSTEM "preface.xml">
   <!ENTITY partI SYSTEM "partI.xml">
   <!ENTITY using-jam SYSTEM "using-jam.xml">
   <!ENTITY mixing SYSTEM "mixing.xml">
   <!ENTITY accoustics SYSTEM "accoustics.xml">
   <!ENTITY partII SYSTEM "partII.xml">
   <!ENTITY sys-design SYSTEM "sys-design-III.xml">
   <!ENTITY data_mngmnt SYSTEM "data_mngmnt.xml">
   <!ENTITY environment SYSTEM "environment-I.xml">
   <!ENTITY alsa  SYSTEM "alsa.xml">
   <!ENTITY partIII SYSTEM "partIII.xml">
   <!ENTITY prerequisites SYSTEM "prerequisites.xml">
   <!ENTITY partIV SYSTEM "partIV.xml">
   <!ENTITY partV SYSTEM "partV.xml">
   <!ENTITY app-a SYSTEM "app-a.xml">
   <!ENTITY app-b SYSTEM "fdl.xml">
   <!ENTITY gloss SYSTEM "gloss.xml">
   <!ENTITY biblio SYSTEM "biblio.xml">
   <!ENTITY index SYSTEM "index.xml">
]>

<book>
<bookinfo>
<!--version 0.0.1-->
   <mediaobject>
     <imageobject>
      <imagedata
fileref="../images/jam-cover-logo.png" format="PNG"
align="right"></imagedata>
      </imageobject>
   </mediaobject>
   <title>Professional Audio Mastering with
JAM</title>
     <subtitle>A Linux Based Solution</subtitle>

      <corpauthor>M</corpauthor>
       <address>
         <street>Ave S.</street>
         <country>USA</country>
         <phone>1</phone>
         <email>rtp405</email>
       </address>
   <copyright>
     <year>2003</year>
     <holder>Ron P. Permission is granted to copy,
distribute and/or modify this document under the terms
of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
any later version published by the Free Software
Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, one
Front-Cover Text: Jack Audio Mastering (JAM), and with
the Back-Cover Texts being LIST. A copy of the license
is included in the section entitled "GNU Free
Documentation License".
     </holder>
   </copyright>
   <legalnotice>

      <para>
      Linux is a registered trademark of of Linus
Torvalds. All other trademarks are the property of
their respective holders.
      </para>
   </legalnotice>
 <revhistory>
   <revision>
      <revnumber>0.0.1</revnumber>
      <date>15 Jan 2002</date>
      <authorinitials>RP</authorinitials>
      <revremark>content inclusion, rewrite
introduction</revremark>
   </revision>
  </revhistory>
</bookinfo>
   &preface;
   &partI;
   &partII;
   &partIII;
   &partIV;
   &gloss;
   &biblio;
</book>

Here's the error:
validate-xdocs:
/home/httpd/htdocs/forrest/src/documentation/content/xdocs/jam/accoustics.xml:1:26:
Document root element "chapter", must match DOCTYPE
root "null".
/home/httpd/htdocs/forrest/src/documentation/content/xdocs/jam/accoustics.xml:1:26:
Document is invalid: no grammar found.

Well that's to be expected because accoustics.xml by
itself is not a valid xml file. The entire book is
valid xml but documents like accoustics.xml are all
linked into the above book.xml file which must be read
before accoustics.xml--obviously I'm not a markup
language expert just a writer so please tolerate my
ignorance.

Here's site.xml entry:
<jam label="jam" href="jam/" tab="jam">
    <index label="jam" href="jam.html"
description="jam"/>
  </jam>

And the tabs.xml entry:
<tab id="jam" label="jam" dir="jam"
indexfile="book.html"/>

I suspect anyone can read the above and immediately
know what I'm trying to do and why it doesn't work and
what needs to be done to achieve my objective.

BTW, I followed the sdocbook sample file and got a
couple documents working and expect that I'm using
tags that aren't defined in sdocbook. That's fine,
I'll edit the book to comply and convert .png files to
.jpg, etc.

ron