forrest-dev mailing list archives

From R Parker <>
Subject docbook; user question
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:00:06 GMT

First, I've installed and have a preliminary forrest
based site running. Excellent solution. Thanks!

Disclaimer: there isn't a forrest-user list yet so I'm
posting to your dev list. Sorry.

I've got a multiple part and chapter book marked up as
docbook-xml. I'd like to put it into xdocs/jam and
have it magically turn into my book. Here's book.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
    <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD DocBk
XML V4.1.2//EN"
"/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" [

   <!ENTITY preface SYSTEM "preface.xml">
   <!ENTITY partI SYSTEM "partI.xml">
   <!ENTITY using-jam SYSTEM "using-jam.xml">
   <!ENTITY mixing SYSTEM "mixing.xml">
   <!ENTITY accoustics SYSTEM "accoustics.xml">
   <!ENTITY partII SYSTEM "partII.xml">
   <!ENTITY sys-design SYSTEM "sys-design-III.xml">
   <!ENTITY data_mngmnt SYSTEM "data_mngmnt.xml">
   <!ENTITY environment SYSTEM "environment-I.xml">
   <!ENTITY alsa  SYSTEM "alsa.xml">
   <!ENTITY partIII SYSTEM "partIII.xml">
   <!ENTITY prerequisites SYSTEM "prerequisites.xml">
   <!ENTITY partIV SYSTEM "partIV.xml">
   <!ENTITY partV SYSTEM "partV.xml">
   <!ENTITY app-a SYSTEM "app-a.xml">
   <!ENTITY app-b SYSTEM "fdl.xml">
   <!ENTITY gloss SYSTEM "gloss.xml">
   <!ENTITY biblio SYSTEM "biblio.xml">
   <!ENTITY index SYSTEM "index.xml">

<!--version 0.0.1-->
fileref="../images/jam-cover-logo.png" format="PNG"
   <title>Professional Audio Mastering with
     <subtitle>A Linux Based Solution</subtitle>
         <street>Ave S.</street>
     <holder>Ron P. Permission is granted to copy,
distribute and/or modify this document under the terms
of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
any later version published by the Free Software
Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, one
Front-Cover Text: Jack Audio Mastering (JAM), and with
the Back-Cover Texts being LIST. A copy of the license
is included in the section entitled "GNU Free
Documentation License".

      Linux is a registered trademark of of Linus
Torvalds. All other trademarks are the property of
their respective holders.
      <date>15 Jan 2002</date>
      <revremark>content inclusion, rewrite

Here's the error:
Document root element "chapter", must match DOCTYPE
root "null".
Document is invalid: no grammar found.

Well that's to be expected because accoustics.xml by
itself is not a valid xml file. The entire book is
valid xml but documents like accoustics.xml are all
linked into the above book.xml file which must be read
before accoustics.xml--obviously I'm not a markup
language expert just a writer so please tolerate my

Here's site.xml entry:
<jam label="jam" href="jam/" tab="jam">
    <index label="jam" href="jam.html"

And the tabs.xml entry:
<tab id="jam" label="jam" dir="jam"

I suspect anyone can read the above and immediately
know what I'm trying to do and why it doesn't work and
what needs to be done to achieve my objective.

BTW, I followed the sdocbook sample file and got a
couple documents working and expect that I'm using
tags that aren't defined in sdocbook. That's fine,
I'll edit the book to comply and convert .png files to
.jpg, etc.

Do you Yahoo!?