forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: skin package descriptor skins.xml
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2003 14:23:13 GMT
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:36:04PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >Catching up on missed mail..
> >
> >On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:25:42PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >>Since I am the creator and maintainer of that skin, I would obviously
> >>prefer to keep it in Forrest, it's easier to manage.
> >>
> >>But these are some reasons why we should move:
> >>
> >>1 - it's not an Apache project
> >
> >It's ASL'ed.
>
> It's not a reason to maintain it here either.

Actually, I've never really understood how files not hosted on ASF
hardware can claim to be covered by the ASL, which states "Copyright
<year> The Apache Software Foundation".  By now the ASF must have
copyright over vast quantities of material it doesn't even know of,
simply because people copy the Apache LICENSE.txt without modifying it.
In this case, I don't see how we could move ASF copyrighted files out of
Apache without the ASF ceding copyright to the author (you).

> >>2 - it's unfair to other projects that must keep their skin on
> >>   their sites
> >
> >They're not ASL'ed.  And they don't exist (see below).
>
> Not yet. Not having a packaging of skins, no wonder nobody dostributes
> them.
>
> >>3 - we point to one real-life example to start with, as David says
> >>4 - it's popular just because it's there, not necessarily because it's
> >>   that nice; with remote skins popularity will decrease IMHO
> >
> >If it comes to predictions, I predict this system isn't going to be
> >adopted by users at all, based on the observation that users *haven't*
> >been swamping us with skin submissions.  We haven't had a single skin
> >submission since forrest-css.  This is solving a non-existent problem.
>
> The krysalis-site move is not to solve a problem, just something that I
> thought makes sense (as I said later I won't be moving it anyway).
>
> As for the skin download system, it does solve a problem I had. It's not
> easy to make a skin available to different parties that have to use the
> same one unless it's in our distro.

It's not very hard to zip up one's src/resources/skins/xyz directory and
put it in JIRA.

> >?? What krysalis-skin (?) mods to the forrest skin?
>
> The krysalis skin is the Forrest skin with some mods:
>
> 1 - more use of CSS images instead of the img tag
> 2 - more use of CSS
> 3 - nested page index in the left navigation
> 4 - places the breadcrumb in different position
> 5 - smaller default fonts
> 6 - javascript for font size setting
>
> The only thing that makes the krysalis skin really different is teh
> color and title underlines, but the rest can (IMHO should) be backported
> to forrest-site.

Oh I see, yes.

--Jeff