forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: In-place editing (Re: [RT] Forrest source directory layout and resolving)
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2003 02:44:18 GMT
On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 11:54:24PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:30:10AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >>We need to tackle the Forrest source directory layout and how to resolve
> >>additional source dirs.
> >
> >>2 no more source copying
> >>--------------------------
> >
> >This is the one I'm personally interested in tackling right now.
> >Actually I've prototyped much of this locally.  It works (XML can be
> >edited in-place) but isn't complete yet.  I've placed my experiments
> >online at:
> >
> >http://www.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/samples/xml-forrest-vfs.tgz
>
> Since I really want to get this thing done, I have looked at the above
> mentioned files, and I've seen that there is still a mixture of two
> places where the sources are defined:
>
>  1 - an xml config file

Which XML config file?

>  2 - the sources xmap
>
> From our last discussion we had seen that using a sources xmap could be
> the best course of action, as it gives the greatest flexibility and
> makes it possible for users to start understanding Cocoon.
>
> But it also exposes us to possible problems in the future when we would
> want to change the sitemaps. In fact I have the feeling that part of the
> blame of our slow speed is due to splitted sitemaps and continuous
> calling of cocoon://, although I haven't yet tested it.

Probably.  Using cocoon: URLs to look up skin resources (XSLTs, images,
css etc) won't help matters.

> Hence, probably a definition of dirs and additional sources could also
> be done in the config file...

I don't understand how sources can be defined in a config file external
to the sitemap..

> ><map:mount uri-prefix="" src="cocoon://forrest.xmap" check-reload="yes" />
>
> Cool!
>
> Hmmm... does it work? I thought mounts were done at startup. In any case
> the idea is very nice.

Doesn't work unfortunately:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.AbstractEnvironment.release(AbstractEnvironment.java:521)
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.MutableEnvironmentFacade.release(MutableEnvironmentFacade.java:332)
        at org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator.recycle(FileGenerator.java:89)

Although I don't see why it shouldn't work.  Looks like a bug.

--Jeff