forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove need to build Forrest
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:19:44 GMT
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:05:56PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Currently Forrest has to be built before usage, and this is both a good
> and a bad thing. Good because it separates the working version from the
> CVS version. Bad because the buildfile is getting an intangble mess.
>
> Hence I would propose that we move all the files that are copied at
> buildtime into the forrest-shbat directory.
>
> This means basically moving there:
>
>   src/resources/conf/**
>   src/resources/grammar/**
>   src/resources/schema/**
>   src/resources/images/**
>   src/resources/skins/**
>   src/resources/fresh-site/**
>   src/resources/stylesheets/**
>
> like the build file does. In this way the src/resources/forrest-shbat
> will be exactly like the current build\dist\shbat dir.

Which is:

forrest.antproxy.xml
forrestbot
forrest.build.xml
fresh-site.zip
ant/
bin/
context/
legal/
lib/
tasks/
WEB-INF/

How is this more logical than src/resources/* ?

We currently have a two-step process:

1) First build.xml rearranges src/* to generate build/dist/shbat/*
2) Then forrest.build.xml rearranges build/dist/shbat/* to build/webapp/*

Instead or making src/* look more like the intermediate format, how about
making it look like the end format?

src/forrest.build.xml
src/forrest.antproxy.xml
src/core/*.xmap
src/core/WEB-INF/
src/core/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
src/fresh-site/*

> This, plus making fresh-site be used directly as sparse files instead of
> a zip, and moving there also the libraries. Optionally we can see to
> download the libraries with <get> and install them or in the
> forrest-shbat correct dir or reference them in some other way, still not
> thought well about this yet, suggestions welcome.
>
> I would also rename forrest-shbat to something more generic, like
> "forrestcore" (or something like that, as we have already forrestbar and
> forrestbot).
>
> Finally the build target would simply <synch> itself with the usual
> build/dist/shbat/ directory, so that if users still use it they do not
> need to change anything.

Synching isn't as easy as just using <synch>, because there is
project-specific stuff mixed in with generic stuff.

> As a result we would have a smaller and cleaner buildfile, much less
> copying, and easier work for the developer that does not need check the
> buildfile every time he adds some features.

Well, it would make the build process more transparent and faster.

--Jeff