forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Linking to XML
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:31:42 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >> ATM, practically I have no use of it. Furthermore nobody has ever used
> >> it AFAIK so IMO we can safely remove this "feature".
> >>
> >> Instead we could put a "source" link, ie a link to the document
> >> source, but we'll think of it if/when we'll really need it this time ;-)
> >>
> >> So, I'll remove the XML link on the pages: anyone against?
> >
> > You can call a "forrest validate-site" and I think that relay on that link.
>
> I am talking about removing the possibility of having that link on the
> page, not to change the internal sitemap.
>
> In any case, validate-site AFAIK does not invoke Cocoon and searches
> only for files that are xml in the origin, so it's not an issue in any case.

I think that what Juan is referring to, is that if you switch the
link on, then it will generate the final stage before the site2html
transformer as xml. The validate-site can then operate on the output.

The link needs to be present to make the sitemap match for each page's
xml version. There must be a better way to do that, probably the
upgraded Cocoon CLI will help here.

There is an additional issue here. To get the validate-site to work
i gather than Cheche needed to add doctype declarations to the output
xml (r1.114 of sitemap.xmap). IIRC, we did not bother with that before,
because we were treating it as internal xml. An unfortunate side-effect
is that we have now exposed the DTDs.

Yet again this points to the need of better validation techniques
ala Relax NG. Then we do not need to add such DTD declarations.
Oh, does anyone know if 'make time' is a cross-platform command :-)

--David