forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Linking to XML
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:46:21 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> >> ATM, practically I have no use of it. Furthermore nobody has ever used
> >> it AFAIK so IMO we can safely remove this "feature".
> >>
> >> Instead we could put a "source" link, ie a link to the document
> >> source, but we'll think of it if/when we'll really need it this time ;-)
> >>
> >> So, I'll remove the XML link on the pages: anyone against?
> >
> > Ahhh.. so you were talking about the actually link icon on the page. Not
> > relevent to my prototype, I just need to get the raw XML which is
> > retrieved via an XInclude in my remote apps.
>
> Ok, but since you are relying on it, it's actually a feature that is
> used. Should it be part of our contract? Why not?

That link is one source of the problem. It encourages people to expose
the xml without realising the consequences. That may be still good in
certain situations, but that is up to the developer.

I still cannot understand why someone would want to click on a link
to a raw xml file and view it with their web browser.

So my opinion is to not provide them with that rope.

> Since you are using it, ...

My reading of Ross' comment is that he is *not* using it and is rather
using the sitemap to deliver xml output.

> I won't remove the possibility of having the
> link on the page, as that skinconf section shows the other possible
> output formats. I will instead write a small description of what it may
> be used for.

I would like to talk more about this link thing. We seem to
be encouraging bad practise.

--David