forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Linking to XML (Re: http://apache.org/forrest/dtd/document-v12.dtd)
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:08:26 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Also we used to just have a basic System Identifier that was just
> > the DTD filename. e.g. "document-v12.dtd". Why did we change it to
> > be a full URL?
>
> Because it made people think that there *ought* to be a DTD at
> ../document-v12.dtd, and that either their XML or their DTDs were wrongly
> placed.  The POI people even copied the DTDs there, under this
> assumption.

Eeek. Okay, that is a good reason. This then shows that our
documentation is not too good if they miss the core entity resolver.
I will try to add another FAQ to our docs.

Now we will have shifted the problem. They will now think
that there *ought* to be the DTDs and stuff at that URL.

I wonder if we should put an index.html at /dtd/ to point them
to proper mechanisms.

> .. and the REAL reason was :) that I want to edit XML in IDEA, which has
> excellent XML support (auto-complete, etc).  IDEA maps system ids to
> physical locations, so I needed a well-defined system id.

Well not too "excellent XML support" if it doesn't utilise
the explicitly well-defined Public Identifiers too.

Okay, that is two good reasons.

--David