forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: http://apache.org/forrest/dtd/document-v12.dtd
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:09:10 GMT
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > Tetsuya, why do you ask this question? You must have a poorly-configured
> > xml tool if it does not use a catalog entity resolver. We do not want to
> > encourage bad practice by putting the DTDs there.
>
> Simple:
>
> If I change the config of
> xml-forrest\src\documentation\skinconf.xml
> (<disable-xml-link>false</disable-xml-link>)
> and view the built files (.xml files) via IE 6.0,
> I would encounter the errors.
> (xml-forrest\build\site\*.xml)
>
> ... That's all :-)

Oh i see, a seriously impaired tool.

Thanks Tetsuya, this is an important topic that needed to be
raised sooner or later. My comments here are directed at the issue.

We have been working hard at Forrest and Cocoon to ensure efficiency
by using the entity resolver. However, there is not much that we
can do to cater for poor client tools.

I would not be happy with putting the DTDs on the Apache webserver.
The overhead is big for each document request. There is the DTD cover
page, various DTD modules, and the character entity sets which would
all be downloaded, presumably for each page view. This is also needed
for pages that are viewed on non-Apache.org sites.

This Forrest ability to provide a link to the xml source is something
that recently appeared in Forrest. I am am still not sure if it is a
good thing. I wonder what its purpose is. What do people expect to do
with the raw xml?

Also we used to just have a basic System Identifier that was just
the DTD filename. e.g. "document-v12.dtd". Why did we change it to
be a full URL?

--David