forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [RT] Status.xml, changes.xml, todos.xmlm, news and other descriptors
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:14:45 GMT
On 2003-04-30, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> No comments?
>
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> > Again I want to tackle the status.xml file thing.

<snip/>
> > So in the end, I would propose that we don't pursue a single status.xml
> > anymore, but make them into:
> >
> > authors.xml (as <developers> but with added homepage links)
> > changes.xml (without authors section)
> > todo.xml    (without authors section)
> > compat.xml  (compatibility-breaks)
> > issues.xml  (the issue-vote part, remove it ATM because DOA)
> > news.xml    (the project headline news)
> >
> > that will reside or in the main dir or in a 'project' or 'status' dir (I
> > vote for 'status' dir).
> >
> > Also, we replace the status.xml file with a STATUS.TXT file that is all
> > text-based, ans that refers to the above xml descriptors for the
> > structured data, keeping only unstructured extra info about the project.

Your ideas sound fine to me.

> >  --- news ---
> >
> > Then we have to make a news.xml file.
> > I look at all the RSS feeds, but I don't like them to be source formats.
> >
> > I could propose this news DTD, loosly based on RSS 0.91:
> >
> > <news title="" description="" language="">
> >   <item>
> >    <title>shbat fix</title>
> >     <description>
> >     <!-- In here Document11 DTD content-->
> >     </description>
> >   </item>
> > </news>
> >
> > Any suggestions?

A "date" attribute on <item>. Perhaps a "timespan" attribute on
the <news>.

How would we deal archives of news? I mean we do not want just
one big news.xml forever growing. Perhaps a directory approach
... news/ with say separate monthly news files. A directory generator
could build a table of contents.

--David