forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: DTDs vs. Schemas
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:16:22 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> J.Pietschmann wrote:
>
> > Andrew Savory wrote:
> >
> >> I've been playing around with the Forrest DTD, and have hit upon the
> >> limitation of having no W3 XML Schema for it. (I need namespaces, so DTDs
> >> are no use to me.)
> >>
> >> Before I spend time converting the current DTDs to schemas, does anyone
> >> already have some, and if so, could they commit them to CVS?
> >
> > You should take a look at the CyberNeko DTD converter:
> >  http://www.apache.org/~andyc/neko/doc/index.html
> > or Trang
> >  http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html
> >
> > Neither is an install&go but still much simpler than to rewrite
> > moderatly complex DTDs as WXS by hand.
>
> We need to have at least two version, because DTDs are a bonus for
> editors, and we need something else for multi-namespace validation.
>
> What do you suggest we do? I thought that we shouold keep one version
> hand-written and the other automatically converted. In this way we have
> schemas for normal validation and automatically-generated DTDs for
> editors and for people using single-namespace validation.
>
> Suggestions?

We have talked in the past about this dilemma (here and cocoon-dev).
One other proposed technology was RELAX NG. From memory we talked
about holding an authoritative RNG and generating DTDs and stuff.

Some past discussion (there is much more) ...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102887074620179
[RT] Instead of XHTML 1.0, why don't we implement a subset of the XHTML
2.0 proposal?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103994976707745
Re: [PROPOSAL] DTD Versioning (Re: Should href be required on link

--David