forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Where is Docbook support going?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 03:54:33 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, our Docbook 'support' consists of a stylesheet called
> docbook2document.xsl, and a mass of DTDs.  I'd like to know where this is
> all going.
>
> Firstly, is our aim to support all of Docbook, or even simplified
> Docbook?
>
> If no, we should define our supported subset in a DTD, so hapless users
> don't try to use the full thing, only to discover Forrest doesn't render
> it.  There's nothing more frustrating than not knowing a tool's
> limitations.
>
> If yes, we should turf out docbook2document.xsl right now, because trying
> to 'evolve' it to fully support Docbook is extremely foolhardy.  Norm
> Walsh has spent years working on his XSLTs.  We can't possibly compete.
>
> What do people think?

There are two aspects to DocBook support.

One is the ability to validate DocBook xml source documents during
the build. For that we need to provide DTDs (we do have some), or
documentation about how to configure their own (we do have that), or
a mechanism to download them if they are not on the user's system
(we do have a proposal for that capability).

The other aspect is rendering the DocBook documents. We have some
documentation describing how to configure the full DocBook XSLTs.
The problematic piece is the alternative (yet minimal)
docbook2document.xsl which is not being enhanced or maintained.
I think that we should dump that and concentrate on better
documentation to describe how to configure full DocBook rendering.

--David