forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [HEADSUP] Committed skin package system
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:38:52 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> > I have committed the change that makes it possible for users to download
> > skins and have them automatically used by Forrest.

I just tried it, very nice.

> > _TODO_
> >
> >  1 - If it's ok, migrate the skins.xml file from my account to
> >      xml.apache.org/forrest/skins/skins.xml (->nicolaken)
>
> Done.
>
> >  2 - add a version to the skin files, to match the forrest one
> >      (->nicolaken)
>
> Done. If a versioned skin is not available, it also tries with an
> unversioned file.

It gave three identical errors about java.io.FileNotFoundException
when trying to get the non-existent skin. I expected one error.

With "skinconf2" it still went on to look for an un-versioned file
even though it had already got a versioned file.

> >  3 - make forrest unpack files placed manually (->nicolaken)
>
> Done.

The skin will get blown away by the next 'build clean'. But that
is okay because it is so quick to go get another copy. Also it
may be preferable to get a fresh copy. If the user wanted to keep
the skin and perhaps enhance it, then they can copy it to their project.

> >  4 - make the download automatic when running forrest if skin
> >      not available (->open, not sure if good to have)
>
> Done nevertheless.
>
> >  5 - docs about how to use it (->nicolaken)
>
> @todo ;-S

Started.

> Also changed from jar packages to zips (we don't use the manifest).

So should we change the extension? You began with .fsj for
"forrest skin jar". Perhaps .fsz

> Currently available test skins:
>
>    testskin
>    testskin2
>
> Please give it a check and see if it's ok for you.

This is a good start.

--David