forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Remove need to build Forrest
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:05:56 GMT

Currently Forrest has to be built before usage, and this is both a good
and a bad thing. Good because it separates the working version from the
CVS version. Bad because the buildfile is getting an intangble mess.

Hence I would propose that we move all the files that are copied at
buildtime into the forrest-shbat directory.

This means basically moving there:

like the build file does. In this way the src/resources/forrest-shbat
will be exactly like the current build\dist\shbat dir.

This, plus making fresh-site be used directly as sparse files instead of
a zip, and moving there also the libraries. Optionally we can see to
download the libraries with <get> and install them or in the
forrest-shbat correct dir or reference them in some other way, still not
thought well about this yet, suggestions welcome.

I would also rename forrest-shbat to something more generic, like
"forrestcore" (or something like that, as we have already forrestbar and

Finally the build target would simply <synch> itself with the usual
build/dist/shbat/ directory, so that if users still use it they do not
need to change anything.

As a result we would have a smaller and cleaner buildfile, much less
copying, and easier work for the developer that does not need check the
buildfile every time he adds some features.

Of course, this has to be done without impacting on Jeff's work about
non-copying Forrest sources, so it would probably go after his commit.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -