forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Skins repo (was Re: Long time, no Forrest)
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:14:03 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Yep. I tought about a skin's repository. This is a very interesting point.
> Skins can be easily installed in forrest, even they can live outside the
> forrest directory. Each skins in his own directory (I see an analogy to
> the currently Cocoon blocks). Then we can add some info about the skins,
> the targeted forrest's version that can use the skin and so on.

Yup.

> The ideal place for a skins repository is the ASF, but we can do an
> initial project outside ASF. I propose sf.net.

Not really necessary, below I explain.

> Also there we can develop a skins GUI manager for forrest's skins. That
> will allow people change the skins into forrest.

This is how I would do it:

1 - make an xml file like below and publish it on the web at a fixed
    URI:

     <skins>
       <skin name="antonios"
             url="http://antonios.name/forrestskins/"/>

       <skin .../>
     </skins>

2 - Make Forrest ask the user if he should look on the web in case the
     required skin is not installed

2b - the files in that dir are like:

         antonios-0.5.fsj

      as:

         name-(forrest version needed).(forrest skin jar)

3 - make forrest look at the specified URL and try to fetch a skin
     named, in this case,

         name-(forrest version needed).(forrest skin jar)

4 - make Forrest unpack it to the skins dir and now Forrest can continue
      :-)

Then we just need to add a page containing links and examples of the
skins, and we have something similar to the plugin repo of Mozilla...
hmmm, let me try this now :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -