forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest and OpenOffice
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 06:21:36 GMT
Sikha, Naresh wrote:
> I'm a forrest newbie, so please bear with me.
>
> I am interested in having Forrest render *.sxw (OpenOffice Writer)
> files. Has anyone ventured into this space?

Yes, there should be some docs on the Cocoon Wiki IIRC.
What has been done is to make Cocoon able to render the swx files directly.

> A brief strawman:
>
> - Using OpenOffice render .sxw to HTML and save with the .ihtml
> extension (this needs to happen by invoking a Java class - Ant task? -
> rather than XSL).
> - Using Forrest integrate into site via .ihtml extension (ihtml is easy
> since OpenOffice supports HTML and so does Forrest)
>
> The only problem with this is that the conversion to .ihtml needs to
> happen basically before forrest.xmap kicks in. Not knowing much about
> Forrest (and assuming this work hasn't been done yet:), I'm at a loss of
> where to go next.

Openoffice 1.1 has the concept of XSL filters. This means that it's
possible to open a documentDTD file, have Openoffice convert it on the
fly to their format, and display it. To save the same process occurs but
backwards.

So you can not only save and read ihtml files using the standard html
output filter, but you can also create a documentDTD filter that outputs
directly to Forrest source format.

I would suggest you to go this route and work with plain xml files, as
sxw files are compressed, and have to be put in CVS as binary, thus
making it impossible to do diffs.

If you also need to do a conversion of swx files you already have, the
easiest thing is to use the same xsl files you made for the OO filter to
transform the xml files that are in the swx.

You can find all these informations somewhere on the OpenOffice site,
ask again if you have further questions. :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -