forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XMLBeans website
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:12:30 GMT
David Remy wrote:

> Thanks Jeff.  Your post was very helpful.
>
>>Yes, most projects have the 'source' for their documentation
>>(XML) in the
>>source tree, and then the actual rendered HTML/PDF
>>documentation in the
>>separate 'xml-site' CVS module.
>>

> I assume most projects have some documentation, like javadoc and/or
> user doc, in html format somewhere in their source tree like XMLBeans
> does.  I have created a separate top level directory (not committed
> yet) for the XMLBeans website.  Is it possible to have forrest
> copy/read the .html files from their home directory in the main
> source tree and copy them into a specific location in the
> src/../xdocs tree changing their name from .html to .ehtml and then
> cleaning up after?

Usually javadocs and other pregenerated docs can simply be added to the
content dir and will be included in the output.

> My main objective is to not have to copy the
> source documentation from one source (currently in the XMLBeans
> mainline) to the website source directory.

You are right, this is an issue that we are aware that needs to be
solved, as copying all the sources to a temporary directlry with Ant and
working from there not a very nice solution.

> I am imagining some sort
> of property in the forrest-properties file that allowed you to set a
> directory (e.g., xmlbeansv1-src/docs), a file mask (*.html), a target
> directory (website/src/documentation/content/xdocs/documentation),
> and a change-to file mask (*.ehtml).  Or something like that.  Any
> like that exist as an option in forrest?  If not, perhaps there is
> some other way to accomplish the objective?

The current way is to copy the files to temporary directory therefore
"assembling" the source dirs.

My proposal would be to add the ability for users to specify all the
source dirs and map them to the "virtual" source locations.
In this way sources can remain where they are and Forrest gets the files
from there.

This has been discussed before, and IMO it's time we tackle it.
I'll start a thread on this, in the meantime file copying will have to
do I'm afraid :-/

> I am also posting to forrest-dev mailing list (there doesn't seem to
> be a forrest user mailing list).

Correct :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -