forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Declaring components where they are used (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/stylesheets i18n.xsl)
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:38:13 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> Please define components in the sitemap where they are used, not in
>> sitemap.xmap.   It minimises dependencies between sitemaps.
>>
>> For example, Cocoon has an overridden sitemap.xmap, and their build was
>> broken because the overridden sitemap.xmap didn't define components that
>> forrest.xmap and menu.xmap need:
>>
>> * [0] favicon.ico
>> X [0] index.html        BROKEN: Type 'locale' is not defined for 'act'
>> at
>> file:/old/home/jeff/homeoverflow/apache/xml/cocoon-2.1/build/cocoon-2.1.2-dev/tmp/context/menu.xmap:100:37

>> Total time: 0 minutes 10 seconds
>>

>> * [0] favicon.ico
>> X [0] index.html        BROKEN: Type 'i18n' is not defined for
>> 'transform' at
>> file:/old/home/jeff/homeoverflow/apache/xml/cocoon-2.1/build/cocoon-2.1.2-dev/tmp/context/menu.xmap:104:35

>> Total time: 0 minutes 9 seconds
>>

> The reason of why I put in18 transformer and local action on the sitemap
> is because they are going to be used on more places than the menu.xmap:
>
> To translate the tab matcher you need to include both components on
> sitemap.
>
> So adding both components on sitemap is the right place to do it, as
> they have been used in more thant one sitemap.

Do you understand the problem?  This guarantees to break _every single_
site that overrides sitemap.xmap, either now or when 0.6 is released.

If the locale action is eventually needed in sitemap.xmap as well, why
not just duplicate the definitions?  5 lines of duplication to keep
backwards-compatibility seems well worth it.

--Jeff