forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project definition. (Re: [RT] Status.xml, changes.xml, todos.xmlm, news and other descriptors])
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:55:42 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that out of this email, Nicola RT did got go futher, but
> status.xml situation needs to change.

I have reread this and I am still more convinced that we need to
finalize status things and project descriptors.

I looked back at the initial Forrest proposal, and there was a similar
proposal from Stefano:

<!--
Stefano wrote:
 > subproject
 > ==========
 >
 > each subproject should provide:
 > 3.a) a 'description' file that includes information on the codebase, its
 > description, its released versions, its CVS modules, its CVS tags, its
 > mail lists and its documentations (yes, a subproject might have more
 > than one, think of Xerces1/Xerces2, Xalan1/Xalan2, Cocoon1/Cocoon2).
 > [proposed filename: /description.xml]
 >
 > 3.b) a 'committers info' file that includes information on the
 > committers, along with a short bio, an email address and a picture of
 > them. [proposed filename: /committers.xml]
 >
 > 3.c) a 'change log' file that includes information on changes and
 > software relases [proposed filename: /changes.xml]
 >
 > 3.d) a 'todo list' file that includes the information on things to do
 > and who volunteered for doing it [proposed filename: /todo.xml]
 >
 > 3.e) a 'news' file that includes events and useful information that
 > should be made available to the general public.
-->

> This is the third item on our todo this, please write down a conclusion
> so we can help Nicola to finish this stuff.
>
> - Status.xml does not have DTD.
> - who.xml and status.xml have duplicated information (developer names)
> - one file two outputs does not seem logical.
> - This info need to be converted with the one in gump.
>
> Anything else?

I'd expand the proposal:

description.xml  (Gump descriptor with extra *namespaced* tags
                   that keeps also Forrest info)
contributors.xml (as <developers> but with added homepage links
                   and extra developer info)
changes.xml      (without authors section and with extra semantics
                   for compatibility breaks)
todo.xml         (without authors section)
decisions.xml    (keep track of all important votes and decisions of
                   the project)
news.xml         (the project news)

These files can reside in the main project dir, or in a subdir, as ./project

To keep compatibility with the current setting, we should also make it
possible to keep a status.xml file in the project root that contains all
or some of the above inside itself.

Thus projects can decide to keep the separated files, one status file,
or a combination of the two.

> I will help nicola, but mostly is to get an agreement on this coding
> does not seem to be very hard,

Agreed. I'll do this myself once we decide.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -