forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: Skins repo (was Re: Long time, no Forrest)
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:04:30 GMT
> Yep. I tought about a skin's repository. This is a very
> interesting point.
> I understand the problems of maintenance of skins. I also
> understand that
> Forrest does not want to mantain a lot of skins and since the Forrest
> project is not the best place to store new skins. I propose
> to create a
> subproject for forrest's skins.

A skin repository would be fine. Several people out there are willing
to contribute to skins (I think).

> Skins can be easily installed in forrest, even they can live
> outside the
> forrest directory. Each skins in his own directory (I see an
> analogy to
> the currently Cocoon blocks). Then we can add some info about
> the skins,
> the targeted forrest's version that can use the skin and so on.

In Ant we want to introduce task libraries: tasks bundled in a jar with
a descriptor file. Advantage of an archive is the much easier installation
and deployment. Maybe this could be something for Forrest. If Forrest/Cocoon

can´t handle xsl´s in an archive you can use a feature like the
"auto-deployment"
of JBoss - check for new archives and extract them.

> The ideal place for a skins repository is the ASF, but we can do an
> initial project outside ASF. I propose sf.net.

I agree - ASF would be fine. But if you want to have many people you can´t
use
Apaches CVS because each person who should be able to commit changes to a
skin
must have write privileges to the whole module (and one module per skin ...
I don´t
know).

I don´t know if subversion is available on ASF. This could help on that (I
heard
of that).

In the meantime a project on SF would be better. And if you ensure that all
is done
under Apache license you could migrate to ASF later.

> Also there we can develop a skins GUI manager for forrest's
> skins. That
> will allow people change the skins into forrest.

Oh, a GUI for Forrest? Not just for Skin-Management. Also for starting the
generation, editing the config files ...

Jan