forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest: dynamic or static?
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:17:44 GMT

On Saturday, Sep 20, 2003, at 15:44 Europe/Rome, Jeff Turner wrote:

> I see we now have i18n'ed menus, where the language is chosen based on
> the locale of the requester.
>
> This feature is useless if you're rendering a static site with the CLI.
> The requester's locale will be that of the local machine.
>
> Then we have:
>
>  - The addition of XSP.  Lots of uses with dynamic Forrest, none (that
>    know of) for a statically rendered site.
>  - Lucene integration.  As it exists in CVS, it screws up statically
>    rendered sites, so is disabled.
>

> Being a Cocoon distribution, there is a huge amount of stuff that
> Forrest
> *could* include.  I think we need to draw a line, define what Forrest
> actually is, and stick to that.

Yes, good call.

> The line I propose is that Forrest should be regarded as an offline
> site
> generation tool that happens to have an online mode for rapid page
> development.  There should be no features _unusable_ from a static
> site.
> For especially useful features, like searching, we can bend the rule
> and
> have online/offline equivalents (lucene and google).

+1

May I suggest something wild? Years ago, thinking about exactly these
requirements, I tought that some of the apache magic could be
pre-generated by forrect in .htaccess files.

I know that, historically, people coming from the web java world know
nothing (or very little) about HTTPD features, but there are tons of
features in apache that could be used to "symulate" the behavior that
dynamic forrest does, in a completely transparent way.

It sounded silly to me at first too: Forrest that generates mod_rewrite
instructions?

But think about it: save the i18n pages as index.en.html and apache
does the language redirection for you. why not use it?

mod_rewrite could be used for tons of things. mod_rewtire it's woodoo,
admittedly, and this is the reason why nobody wants to touch it with a
stick, but if the mod_rewrite conf files were generated by forrest,
people would get speed and functionality without having to learn
mod_rewrite or to throw away the nice forrest features. It would be the
best of both worlds.

worth considering, IMO.

--
Stefano.