forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: -1 rendered documents, possible bug?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:12:35 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:09:52AM +0100, Upayavira wrote:
>

>>Jeff Turner wrote:

>>>I have the same problem of files not being rendered, also with a custom
>>>skin.  In my case, the link is from a file's body, not the menu.
>>>
>>>I'm not sure what the issue is.  At one stage, I thought I had it
>>>narrowed down to the last link in a page being omitted, but later
>>>experiments seemed to disprove that.  The last Forrest tag which didn't
>>>have this problem is (IIRC) stable-20030626.  I suspect it is a CLI bug.
>>>Will investigate as time permits..
>>>

>>Not an immediate solution, but I am mid-process on some improvements to
>>the CLI. I've improved the BeanListener interface to be able to report
>>more things as it proceeds, which might help in locating this bug. When
>>I've finished with implementation, instead of creating a broken link
>>file, it will create a report file, which will detail which pages were
>>created, page size, number of links, etc.
>>

>Sounds good.  I think the biggest diagnostic aid for everyday problems
>would be to know from which page a broken link was encountered.

Oh, didn't I mention that? Its in there in my as yet uncommitted code.
Just need some more time to get it all hanging together. I'll also want
to think broken links through a bit more. Say for example that every
page in a 100 page site has a link to a single broken page. That will
currently result in 100 broken links, rather than one broken link with
100 parents. I'd like to see if I can get it to report it as one broken
link with 100 parents (whilst also reporting broken links as it finds them).

>>I have found that a site rendered with link view contains a different
>>number of files from one rendered with link gathering. This is an issue.
>>I hope my reporting file will help me to identify the cause of this
>>problem - which may also be the cause of yours. We shall see.
>>
>>[I have also substantially reworked the handling of URIs in the CLI. The
>>net effect should be exactly the same, but the code should be easier to
>>follow (it certainly is for me). If you're able to try out the latest
>>CLI from Cocoon CVS, and confirm for me that it has the same behaviour
>>as before, that would help me a lot].
>>

>I'll have a go tomorrow and let you know.

Great.

Regards, Upayavira