forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject FAQ update for Forrest's FOP graphics stuff
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:31:19 GMT
I believe this:

====
2.4. Image don't display in PDFs. How do I fix this?

Forrest uses Apache FOP for rendering images.  FOP cannot handle all
image types natively, and requires third-party jars to be added.  For an
overview, see FOP Graphics formats

Specifically, to get PNGs working in PDFs with Jimi:

1. Download Jimi from http://java.sun.com/products/jimi/
2. Unpack the Jimi distribution and copy JimiProClasses.zip to
lib/core/jimi-1.0.jar (or to src/documentation/lib/jimi-1.0.jar so that
each developer does not need to modify their Forrest installation).
3. Rebuild Forrest (if you used the lib/core/ option above).

Alternative you can use JAI (Java Advanced Imaging API). For more
     info, see FOP Graphics Packages
====

was supposed to read:

====
2.4. Images don't display in PDFs. How do I fix this?

Forrest uses Apache FOP for rendering PDFs. FOP cannot handle all image
types natively, and requires third-party jars to be added. FOP natively
handles BMP, GIF, JPG, TIFF and EPS (with a few limitations). FOP can
also handle SVG (via Batik!) and PNG (see below). For details, see FOP
Graphics formats.

To get PNGs working in PDFs with Jimi:

1. Download Jimi from http://java.sun.com/products/jimi/
2. Unpack the Jimi distribution and copy JimiProClasses.zip to
lib/core/jimi-1.0.jar (or to src/documentation/lib/jimi-1.0.jar so that
each developer does not need to modify their Forrest installation).
3. Rebuild Forrest (if you used the lib/core/ option above).

Alternatively you can use JAI (Java Advanced Imaging API at
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai).

For more info, see FOP Graphics Packages.
====

CHANGES
=======
- 2.4. Images don't display in PDFs. How do I fix this?
   (added "s" to "Images")
   (changed "rendering images" to "rendering PDFs")

-  FOP natively handles BMP, GIF, JPG, TIFF and EPS (with a few
limitations). FOP can also handle SVG (via Batik!) and PNG (via JIMI or
JAI--see below).
   (added entire sentence--remove if so desired! ;-p)

To get PNGs working in PDFs with Jimi:
- (replaced "Specifically, t" with "T")

- Alternatively you can use JAI (Java Advanced Imaging API at
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai).
   (added "ly" to "Alternatively")
   (added "at http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai")

Cheers!