forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: Project definition. (Re: [RT] Status.xml, changes.xml, todos.xmlm, news and other descriptors])
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:04:45 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> IMHO, things like the project description, contributors, decisions, news
> etc, are not important enough (or frequently updated) to warrant
> polluting every project's root directory with.  Why not just reuse
> Maven's project.xml format, or Gump's module.xml?
>I have no idea what who.xml is, and have never seen it used.

who.xml is "who we are" the list of commiters is the same as you get on
status.xml

> IMHO, we should:
>
>  1) Deprecate the <todo> section in favour of using an issue tracker.
>  Even in Forrest, no-one bothers to keep it up to date.

Even if you add a issue tracker you need to keep a scheme so you can
imported in the same fashion as you do with changes.rss.

Maybe we need to put todo items first (like cocoon's) so people will
remember to add/remove items.

>  2) Adopt a Wiki-based text format for the changelog.  Two excellent
>  examples are Log4j's and Ant's:

-1 we are looking at xml based solutiond, importing wiki is cool, but
not a replace for xml
People usually add actions. we can have the choice of adding manually of
importing from another source.

>  3) Adopt Maven's project.xml as our default metadata format, as it seems
>  clean, simple, and in wide use.
>

> --Jeff

+1 but only if suits our needs.

Cheers,