forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Skins repo (was Re: Long time, no Forrest)
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 06:52:49 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi dijo:
> Tony Collen wrote:
>> Hi Forresters,
>>
>> I've just been playing with Forrest-0.5, and I must say I'm impressed!
>>   There've been lots of changes since the last time I looked at it and
>>  used it -- probably since 0.2 or so.  Anyway, I'm so impressed that
>> once  we launch the site I am working on here at work, I'm going to
push to  switch it over to Forrest.

> Thanks :-D
>
>> My main question, is that I was wondering the criteria for new skins to
 be submitted.  I would probably end up either adapting the default
>>  Forrest skin to the site design I have, or I'll just write my own
>> skin... do the skins neccesarily need to be specific to a certain
Apache  project, or are they good to go if they're general enough?

> Style is not an issue here, they just need to be nice. The problem is
about maintainability though. ATM we keep only skins that the Forrest
developers use, and thus will update every time it's needed. In any case
>  it's not strictly necessary that we distribute the skins, they can also
be downloaded and installed on Forrest separately, by copying them in
> the Forrest skins directory (or put on the singular site documentation
under src/resources/skin IIRC).

> Of course, if the design is mouth-watering enough it would be hard to
not accept it ;-)

Yep. I tought about a skin's repository. This is a very interesting point.
I understand the problems of maintenance of skins. I also understand that
Forrest does not want to mantain a lot of skins and since the Forrest
project is not the best place to store new skins. I propose to create a
subproject for forrest's skins.

Skins can be easily installed in forrest, even they can live outside the
forrest directory. Each skins in his own directory (I see an analogy to
the currently Cocoon blocks). Then we can add some info about the skins,
the targeted forrest's version that can use the skin and so on.

The ideal place for a skins repository is the ASF, but we can do an
initial project outside ASF. I propose sf.net.

Also there we can develop a skins GUI manager for forrest's skins. That
will allow people change the skins into forrest.

OK. This are just some initial ideas of what can be done in this area. I
understand this is outside the forrest targets, but I think people will
welcome something like that.

Please comments.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.