forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: Forrest: dynamic or static?
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:38:05 GMT
Sorry I repost my answer. I sent it just to Nicola....

Nicola Ken Barozzi dijo:
> So +1 to keep an eye to "static" and "Apache-friendly" Forrest.
> -1 to crippling its ability to do the same in "live" mode, as that's how
>  most intranets use it.

I agree Nicola. Some people runs into Intranets without Internet access or
google cannot search into the site.

Forrest is a documentation tool. We use it to write some docs that runs in
internals networks. We are not using Forrest in others ways as it was
defined (from - http://xml.apache.org/forrest/index.html ):

<snip>
Forrest is an XML standards-oriented project documentation framework based
on Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and other
resources. Forrest uses these to render the XML source content into a
website via command-line, robot, or a dynamic web application.
</snip>

Please note that here also is stated that Forrest can render the XML
source content into a website via: command-line, robot or dynamic web
application.

I think we can use some properties to allow user decide what it want to
turn on and off and get the job done. Also good comments inside the
forrest.properties (+ some docs) can advise user what are the dynamic
feature and what are the static features.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo