forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest: dynamic or static?
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 03:05:57 GMT
On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 07:17:44PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> May I suggest something wild? Years ago, thinking about exactly these
> requirements, I tought that some of the apache magic could be
> pre-generated by forrect in .htaccess files.
>
> I know that, historically, people coming from the web java world know
> nothing (or very little) about HTTPD features, but there are tons of
> features in apache that could be used to "symulate" the behavior that
> dynamic forrest does, in a completely transparent way.
>
> It sounded silly to me at first too: Forrest that generates mod_rewrite
> instructions?
>
> But think about it: save the i18n pages as index.en.html and apache
> does the language redirection for you. why not use it?
>
> mod_rewrite could be used for tons of things. mod_rewtire it's woodoo,
> admittedly, and this is the reason why nobody wants to touch it with a
> stick, but if the mod_rewrite conf files were generated by forrest,
> people would get speed and functionality without having to learn
> mod_rewrite or to throw away the nice forrest features. It would be the
> best of both worlds.
>
> worth considering, IMO.

Certainly.  We have separation of content from presentation, so we
shouldn't be afraid of doing cool stuff like this.  Just requires some
expansion of the definition of a "Forrest skin".

We could have "skins" that:

 - Output httpd-specific stuff
 - Generate PHP instead of HTML
 - Generate an expanded webapp with servlets (lucene) in WEB-INF/classes

The investment in SoC finally pays off.

--Jeff