forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project definition. (Re: [RT] Status.xml, changes.xml, todos.xmlm, news and other descriptors])
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:37:16 GMT
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:50:09PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> >>Even if you add a issue tracker you need to keep a scheme so you can
> >>imported in the same fashion as you do with changes.rss.
> >

> >Er, say again?  JIRA has RSS feeds..
> >

> we are talking about definition of the format to use, it is not
> important if our source is a file, another source (wiki) or rss feed.

Oh I see.  We can create a common intermediate XML format if you like.
IMHO live issues (bugs and todo items) are best displayed in an issue
tracker, where users can run queries and add comments to them.

> What is important at this point if to ensure that we have the right xml
> schema for our projects.
>

> >We don't need to _replace_ it, just support additional text-based
> >formats, that would be transformed internally into the XML format.
> >
> >--Jeff
>
> still, to give you an example, we have been adding all these action
> items on status.xml, now we are able to:
>

> Order and display content by  @dev @type @context
> Divide for contributed actions
> count number of bug fixed.
>

> are you able to do that with wiki?

Possibly, probably not in general.  It's a tradeoff:

text -> XML -> database + issue tracker

Each step gives up convenience for increased detail and queryability.
Forrest should support whatever our users want.  From observation, I'd
say most value a simple syntax over queryability.

--Jeff