forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project definition. (Re: [RT] Status.xml, changes.xml, todos.xmlm, news and other descriptors])
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:41:49 GMT
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:55:42AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >This is the third item on our todo this, please write down a conclusion
> >so we can help Nicola to finish this stuff.
> >
> >- Status.xml does not have DTD.
> >- who.xml and status.xml have duplicated information (developer names)
> >- one file two outputs does not seem logical.
> >- This info need to be converted with the one in gump.
> >
> >Anything else?
>
> I'd expand the proposal:
>
> description.xml  (Gump descriptor with extra *namespaced* tags
>                   that keeps also Forrest info)
> contributors.xml (as <developers> but with added homepage links
>                   and extra developer info)
> changes.xml      (without authors section and with extra semantics
>                   for compatibility breaks)
> todo.xml         (without authors section)
> decisions.xml    (keep track of all important votes and decisions of
>                   the project)
> news.xml         (the project news)
>
> These files can reside in the main project dir, or in a subdir, as ./project
>
> To keep compatibility with the current setting, we should also make it
> possible to keep a status.xml file in the project root that contains all
> or some of the above inside itself.
>
> Thus projects can decide to keep the separated files, one status file,
> or a combination of the two.
>
> >I will help nicola, but mostly is to get an agreement on this coding
> >does not seem to be very hard,
>
> Agreed. I'll do this myself once we decide.

What happened to ViProM?  Wasn't that meant to be a virtual project
model, built from Gump/Maven/Whatever?  Or is that just my imagination?

IMHO, things like the project description, contributors, decisions, news
etc, are not important enough (or frequently updated) to warrant
polluting every project's root directory with.  Why not just reuse
Maven's project.xml format, or Gump's module.xml?

I have no idea what who.xml is, and have never seen it used.

IMHO, we should:

 1) Deprecate the <todo> section in favour of using an issue tracker.
 Even in Forrest, no-one bothers to keep it up to date.

 2) Adopt a Wiki-based text format for the changelog.  Two excellent
 examples are Log4j's and Ant's:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-log4j/docs/HISTORY?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/WHATSNEW?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

 3) Adopt Maven's project.xml as our default metadata format, as it seems
 clean, simple, and in wide use.

--Jeff