forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject XSP vs SVG (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/stylesheets page2document.xsl)
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:51:34 GMT
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 04:04:51PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> We are comparing two cases SVG and XSP, if you feel that we need to run
> an Ant task then let's do it. But for both technologies as they are
> equivalent cases:
>
> SVG support
> ===========
> batik-1.5b4-fop.jar 2068 Kb
> works with static content.
> Low usage
>
> XSP support
> ===========
> jdtcore-2.1.0.jar 2408 Kb
> works with static content.
> Requested by users.
>

> So same reasons you apply for a "get-xsp" ant task I applied for
> "get-svg" ant task.

Okay, so we _could_ add a task:

<target name="get-svg">
  <get ... />
</target>

And then because the seed target uses SVG, we'd need to make a
dependency:

<target name="seed" depends="get-svg, ...">

And since 'forrest seed' is the first thing we recommend that new users
do, almost everyone will end up running get-svg, and a significant
proportion will be unable to use Forrest because they are offline or have
proxy problems.  Great.

Of course the same offline/proxy issues affect a get-xsp target, but
given the number of Forrest users wanting XSP, this is a tiny cost
compared to that of increasing the Forrest download by 2.4Mb for
everyone.

--Jeff