forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Claiming *.html (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/conf forrest.xmap)
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:29:03 GMT
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:44:35PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >It wasn't.  The desirability of being able to easily distinguish
> >processed and unprocessed files is an afterthought.
>
> Ok, now I get it.
>
> Well, that's the reason why the previous proposal was about using two
> directory trees, I'm still ok with that if you prefer.

I don't know which is better.  I just didn't want to potentially exclude
one possibility.

> >True, I don't get it.  Translating presentational HTML into semantic
> >docv12 seems completely backwards to me.
>
> HTML is not presentational. Part of it is, part isn't. docv12 was born
> from html, and ebooks are based on semantical html.

Okay, I'm fine with that.  Perhaps we should think about the
XHTML2-as-intermediate-format proposal some more?  Wouldn't XHTML2
provide a more natural foundation for a semantic-HTML source format than
xdoc?

> >It wouldn't matter that I don't understand or use ihtml, but that
> >you're forcing the issue by claiming *.html.
>
> I'm not claiming anything, Jeff, as I don't think that the extension
> should tell Cocoon how to process the file anymore. This is exactly what
> ithml and ehtml do.

I don't yet understand how we can auto-detect arbitrary content types
(esp. without namespaces or xsi:schemaType attrs), so I tend to be
conservative when it comes to turfing out extensions.

> Jeff, as I have already proposed, and now I ask you, please revert my
> commits as I feel they were not appropriate.

Thanks for doing so.

> I would do so myself but cannot ATM. And again sorry if you felt
> pushed, but I really am in good faith.

You take rants far too personally ;)

--Jeff